Madhya Pradesh sets record with plantation of 6 crores saplings were planted in 24 districts of Narmada basin in just 12 hours.
- Om Prakash Kohli (additional charge) is present governor of Madhya Pradesh.
- Kanha National Park, also known as Kanha Tiger Reserve, is a vast expanse of grassland and forest in the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh.
GST Council cuts tax rate on fertiliser to 5 pc from 12 pc
Just a couple of hours before the Goods and Services Tax (GST) roll out, the all-powerful GST Council has reduced the tax rate on fertiliser to 5 percent from previously decided 12 per cent. The GST Council, in another move to give relief to farmers, also cut the tax rate on exclusive parts of tractors from 28 per cent to 18 per cent.
Govt lowers interest rate by 0.1 % on small saving schemes for July-Sep quarter
The government has lowered interest rate on small saving schemes by 0.1 percent for the July- September quarter. The move will prompt banks to lower deposit rates. The rates of small saving schemes like PPF, Kisan Vikas Patra and Sukanya Samriddhi have been lowered across the board compared to the April-June quarter
The one for girl child savings, Sukanya Samriddhi Account Scheme, will offer 8.3 percent annually, from 8.4 per cent at present. The investment on 5-year Senior Citizens Savings Scheme will yield 8.3 per cent.
- KVP can be purchased from any Departmental Post Office.
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account can be opened up to age of 10 years only from the date of birth.
- Kisan Vikas Patra (KVP) investments mature in 115 months.
IGNOU announces course fee waiver for transgender students
The Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) has announced exemption of fees for its transgender students of all programmes. Vice Chancellor Ravindra Kumar announced the initiative during the 22nd Prof G Ram Reddy Lecture.
- IGNOU was established by an Act of Parliament in 1985.
- Prof. Ravindra Kumar is Vice-Chancellor (In-charge) of IGNOU.
Rajeev Pratap Rudy & Shivraj Singh Chouhan laid foundation stone of country’s biggest Global Skill Park
The foundation stone of the country’s biggest Global Skill Park in Bhopal.The park will be constructed at a cost of 645 crore rupees. Training will be imparted to 1000 students every year by trainers of international standard
- Rajiv Pratap Rudy is Lok Sabha MP from the Saran constituency in Bihar.
- Rajiv Pratap Rudy is Union Minister of State Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (Independent Charge), Government of India
EC launches special drive to enrol left out voters
Election Commission (EC) has launched the nation wide month long special drive from 01st July 2017 for maximisation of registration of eligible electors with the focus on left out eligible young citizens in the age group of 18-19. During the drive, the EC will remove names of registered dead electors, if any, from electoral rolls.
During the month of June, the election officials have completed preparatory work like identification of critical gaps in existing electoral rolls, strengthening of infrastructure and sensitization of ground level electoral machine. The EC has also sent the communication to all recognised political parties seeking their cooperation for the success of the Special Drive
During the Special Enrollment Drive, which will be completed by 31st July, special attention would be given receiving Form 6 for enrolment of new electors and Removal of names of registered dead electors, if found any.
- Election Commission of India is a permanent Constitutional Body.
- The Election Commission was established in accordance with the Constitution on 25th January 1950.
- It currently consists of Chief Election Commissioner and two Election Commissioners.
- Dr Nasim Zaidi is 20th Chief Election Commissioner of India.
PIB launches web page on GST
The government’s information dispensation arm, Press Information Bureau has launched a special page for the Goods and Services Tax. The page on the PIB website was launched by Principal Director-General, Press Information Bureau, A. P. Frank Noronha.
The web page on GST is a one-stop platform for all information on the new tax regime. It contains press releases issued till date on the Goods and Services Tax (GST) in both Hindi and English. The web page also contains various presentations and FAQs on GST.
India contributes $500,000 to UN Peacebuilding Fund
India has contributed $500,000 to the UN Peacebuilding Fund, expressing hope that more funding by nations will boost efforts by the world body to build and sustain peace. India has been a member of the Peacebuilding Commission since its inception in December 2005 and has so far contributed $5 million to the Peacebuilding Fund. The fresh contribution of $500,000 to the fund will be affected over the coming days.
- The Peacebuilding Commission (PBC) is an intergovernmental advisory body that supports peace efforts in conflict-affected countries and is a key addition to the capacity of the International Community in the broad peace agenda.
- Antonio Guterres is the ninth Secretary-General of the United Nations.
- The headquarters of the United Nations is in New York City, USA.
Serbia lawmakers elect first gay woman Prime Minister Ana Brnabic
Brnabic becomes Serbia’s first female prime minister and the first openly gay premier in the Balkans, where homophobia remains widespread. Serbia is home to about seven million people, most of them Orthodox Christians
- Belgrade is the capital of Serbia.
- Serbian dinar is the currency of Serbia.
BHEL signs pact with Japanese firm for manufacturing coaches for metro trains
Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd has entered into a technology collaboration agreement with Kawasaki Heavy Industries Ltd (KHI) of Japan for manufacturing of stainless steel coaches and bogies for metros
- BHEL has been the bedrock of India’s Heavy Electrical Equipment industry since its incorporation in 1964.
- BHEL Head Office is in New Delhi.
- Mr Atul Sobti is Chairman and Managing Director of BHEL.
Books & important Days
PM releases photo book titled “President Pranab Mukherjee – A Statesman
The Prime Minister Narendra Modi has released a photo book titled “President Pranab Mukherjee – A Statesman”, at an event in Rashtrapati Bhawan. He presented the first copy of the book to the President.
Banking & economic
FINO becomes payments bank
FINO Payments Bank has commenced operations as a payments bank with effect from 30th June 2017 according to the Reserve Bank of India. FINO PayTech Ltd, Navi Mumbai,
- Fino Paytech was founded on 13th July 2006 is headquartered at Mumbai, with offices across India.
- The payments bank will be registered as a public limited company under the Companies Act, 2013 and licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949
RBI report sees India’s economic growth rate at 7.3% in 2017-18
The Reserve Bank stated the ongoing accelerated reform initiatives like Goods and Sevice Tax and continuing political stability will push the economic growth scale to 7.3 per cent in terms of Gross Value Added -GVA in the current fiscal year (2017-18).
The Financial Stability Report 2017 released, going forward, reforms in FDI and real estate sector, implementation of GST, and revival in external demand are likely to contribute to a better growth outlook. According to the RBI report, GVA growth is expected to be higher at 7.3 per cent in 2017-18.
Appointments & Resign
US President Donald Trump has nominated Indian American Krishna R. Urs to be the ambassador to Peru
- Lima is the capital of Peru.
- Pedro Pablo Kuczynski is present president of Peru.
Rajkiran Rai G has been assumed charge as Managing Director & CEO of Union Bank of India
Melwyn Rego has been assumed charge as Managing Director & CEO of Syndicate Bank
- Headquarters of Union Bank of India is in Mumbai.
- The Tagline of Union Bank of India is “good people to bank with”.
- Headquarters of Syndicate Bank of India is in Manipal, Karnataka.
2 Indian-Americans to be honoured with Great Immigrants Award
Two Indian-Americans, Adobe Chief Shantanu Narayen and former US Surgeon General Vivek Murthy are among 38 immigrants to be honoured this year for their role in helping advance the country’s society, culture and economy.
Germany win Maiden Confederations Cup
Germany has lifted their maiden Confederation Cup Football title. In the final played at St Petersburg, the four-time World Cup winners defeated Chile by a solitary goal
- The capital of Germany is Berlin.
- The Confederation Cup originally organised by and held in Saudi Arabia and called the King Fahd Cup.