Delhi Police launch bicycle patrol
The Delhi Police launched patrolling on bicycle to improve policing in congested localities in trans-Yamuna region of the city. The move is also being billed as a green initiative.
India to be first in world to run all government ports on green energy
All 12 major domestic ports will soon switch to renewable energy to meet their entire power requirements, making India the first country to have all government-owned ports running on solar and wind energy.
Few major Government Ports are Listed Below:
- Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Visakhapatnam Port, Andhra Pradesh.
- Kochi Port, Kerala.
- New Mangalore Port, Karnataka.
- Mundra Port, Gujarat.
- Kandla Port, Gujarat.
- Port of Quilon – The oldest and second largest port in Kerala
World Milk Day: 1st June
World Milk Day is an initiative of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation,to celebrate the contribution of the dairy industry around the globe on 1st June.
The first World Milk Day was held in 2001.
- United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation (UNFAO) is an agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger.
- United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation Headquarter is in Rome, Italy.
Arun Jaitley inaugurates Telangana solar plan
Defence Minister Arun Jaitley inaugurated a grid-connected solar power plant of 16 MW capacity at the Ordinance Factory in Telangana’s Medak district.
- Telangana is the 29th state of India formed in 2014
- The capital of Telangana is Hyderabad
- K Chandrasekhar Rao is the CM of Telangana
- Governor of Telangana is E S L Narsimhan
- KBR National Park and Mrugavani National Park are located in Hyderabad, Telangana.
India to strengthen bilateral cooperation with Spain to fight terrorist
India PM has signed seven agreements with Spain PM Mariano Rajoy to strengthen bilateral cooperation to fight against terrorism after the visit from Germany.
The seven agreements
- Agreement for Transfer of Sentence Persons
- MoU on Cooperation in Organ Transplantation
- MoU on Cooperation in Cyber Security
- MoU on Cooperation in Renewable Energy
- MoU on Technical Cooperation in Civil Aviation
- Agreement on visa waiver for holders of diplomatic passports
- MoU between Foreign Service Institute and Diplomatic Academy of Spain.
70th World Health Assembly held in Geneva, Switzerland
The 70th World Health Assembly was held recently (22nd-31st May) in Geneva, Switzerland. In the meeting member nations agreed to increase their assessed contributions by 3 percent.
- The currency of Switzerland is Swiss Franc
- Doris Leuthard has been elected to the Swiss presidency for 2017
- Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus is the newly appointed Director-General of World Health Organization.
India signs loan agreement of 36 million dollar with World Bank
India has signed a loan agreement of 36 million dollars with the World Bank for Himachal Pradesh Public Financial Management Capacity Building Programme.
The project aims to improve the efficiency of public expenditure management and tax administration in Himachal Pradesh.
- Jim Yong Kim is the President of World Bank and its headquarter is in Washington, D.C, USA
- World Bank was founded in 1944.
Banking & Economic
ADB and PNB sign $100 million loan to finance Solar Rooftop projects
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Punjab National Bank (PNB) signed a $100 million loan to be guaranteed by the Government of India that will finance large solar rooftop systems on industrial and commercial buildings throughout India.
- Sunil Mehta is a New MD and CEO of PNB
- ADB President is Takehiko Nakao and its headquarter is in Phillippines.
Indian Railways to launch ‘buy now, pay later’ feature for tickets
To attract more passengers to buy online train tickets, Indian Railways has introduced a service ‘Buy Now, Pay Later’ which allow passengers to make payment for tickets booked online within a window of 15 days.
To buy tickets from the IRCTC website and pay later will decrease the difficulties involved in the payment process at the time. ePayLater, a Mumbai-based fintech firm has joined hands with IRCTC for adding the new feature to Indian Railways ticket booking services.
Appointment & Resign
Tapan Ray Appointed as Economic Affairs Secretary
Economic Affairs Secretary Shaktikanta Das announced his retirement as the Corporate Affairs Secretary. Shaktikanta Das has been associated with the Government of India as the Economic Affairs Secretary for nearly 37 years.
- First Finance Minister of Independent India is Ramasamy Chetty.