Railway Ministry launches Mission Retro-Fitment to enhance the passenger experience
Mission Retro-Fitment is an ambitious program to upgrade the level of furnishing & amenities in the coaches of Indian Railways. This is one of the largest retro fitment project in the world as Indian Railways’ 40,000 coaches will be refurbished and retrofitted in the next five years.
- The first Railway Minister of India was John Mathai.
- The first train in India ran between Bombay and Thane in 1853.
Recent Cabinet Approvals- 14th June 2017
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval in the various fields and has also approved some important MoUs. The important approvals of the Cabinet are as follows-
The Cabinet has approved-
- The Interest Subvention Scheme (ISS) for farmers for the year 2017-18: This will help farmers getting short term crop loan up to Rs. 3 lakh payable within one year at only 4% per annum. The Government has earmarked a sum of Rs. 20,339 crore for this purpose.
- Ex-post facto approval to the MoU between Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare and the Ministry of Agriculture in the State of Palestine on agriculture cooperation.
- The proposal to introduce a Financial Resolution and Deposit Insurance Bill, 2017: The Bill would provide for a comprehensive resolution framework for specified financial sector entities to deal with bankruptcy situation in banks, insurance companies, and financial sector entities.
- The signing of MoU between India and Armenia on cooperation on youth matters
- The signing of MoU between India and Bangladesh for promoting cooperation in the field of Information Technology and Electronics.
Indian-origin Leo Varadkar becomes Ireland’s youngest PM
He officially took over from Enda Kenny as Taoiseach, as the Irish prime ministerial title is known, after a parliamentary vote in Dublin confirmed him as the leader by 57 votes to 50, with 47 abstentions.
- Ireland became the first country in the world to legalize same-sex marriage through popular vote.
- Dublin is the capital of Ireland and its currency is Euro.
Banking & Economic
India to be Co-Partner Country in ANUGA 2017
- Minister of Food Processing Industries Smt Harsimrat Kaur Badal addressed a Joint Press Conference with the organizers of ANUGA– an international business platform for Food Industry to be held in Cologne, Germany.
- She also signed the Memorandum of Understanding for Participation in the ANUGA Exhibition with Ms Katharina C Hamma, Chief Operating Officer, Koelnmesse GmBH (Organizers of ANUGA).
- ANUGA – an acronym for Allgemeine Nahrungs Und Genußmittel Ausstellung ( General Food and Non essential Provisions Exhibition) is the world’s biggest and most important trade fair for Food and beverage trade.
- It takes place bi-annually (every 2 years).
- ANUGA 2017 is the 34th edition.
World Bank approves over $500 million for Afghanistan to boost economy
- The World Bank has approved financing worth more than 500 million dollars for Afghanistanto support a string of projects to boost the economy,
- Jim Yong Kim is the President of World Bank and its headquarters is in Washington, D.C, USA.
- Kabul is the Capital of Afghanistan.
- Ashraf Ghani is the Present President of Afghanistan.
IDBI Bank only PSB to get ‘high’ rating for code compliance
According to the Code Compliance Rating of banks done by the Banking Codes and Standards Board of India (BCSBI) 2017,only one (IDBI Bank) out of 26 public sector banks and eight out of 17 private sector banks got ‘high’ rating for their adherence to code compliance.
The eight private sector banks that got ‘high’ rating are- Axis Bank, DCB Bank, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, IndusInd Bank, Kotak Mahindra Bank, RBL Bank and YES Bank. The three foreign banksare Citibank, HSBC and Standard Chartered Bank, that were surveyed got ‘high’ ranking.
- The Chairman of BCSBI is A C Mahajan.
- The Headquarter of IDBI Bank is in Mumbai.
- CEO of IDBI bank is Mahesh Kumar Jain.
Appointments & Resign
Government announces Indian envoys to European Union, Italy, Belgium and Denmark
India has announced a number of new diplomatic appointments in its missions abroad, including envoys to the European Union, Italy, Belgium, and Denmark.
- Gaitri Issar Kumar, joint secretary in the President’s Secretariat, was named as India’s Ambassador to Belgium and the European Union which has its headquarters in the Belgian capital of Brussels.
- Reenat Sandhu was named as India’s new Ambassador to Italy. He has replaced Anil Wadhwa.
- Ajit Vinayak Gupte, joint secretary in the external affairs ministry, has been named India’s Ambassador to Denmark. He will take over from Rajeev Shahare.
- Rome is the Capital of Italy.
- Copenhagen is the Capital of Denmark.
- Brussels is the Capital of Belgium.
Science & Defense News
India-Australia naval exercise ‘AUSINDEX 17’ begins
Indian warships began a week-long naval exercise off the coast of Western Australia. .
- In May 2017, Singapore and India held a maritime bilateral exercise ‘SIMBEX 17’
- Canberra is the Capital of Australia and its currency is Australian dollar.
- Marise Payne is Australia’s 53rd Minister for Defence.
- Malcolm Turnbull is the present PM of Australia.
DRDO successfully test fires third generation anti-tank ‘Nag’ missile in Rajasthan
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully test fired the anti-tank missile “Nag”in a desert in Rajasthan’s western sector.
The Nag missile is a third generation “fire and forget” anti-tank missile.It has reportedly also been equipped with highly advanced Imaging Infrared Radar (IRR) seeker and has integrated avionics technology in its arsenal.
- The Chairman of DRDO is Dr. S Christopher.
- The indigenous nuclear capable Prithvi-II had been successfully testing fired from a range in Odisha, in May 2017.