India tops global remittance-receiving list
India has claimed the top spot among the remittance-receiving nations,surpassing China. The United Nations,in its report, stated that Indians working across the globe sent home 62.7 billion US dollars in 2016.
According to the‘One Family at a Time’ study by the UN International Fund for Agricultural Development, about 200 million migrants globally sent more than 445 billion dollars as remittances in 2016 to their families.
- 9th Secretary-General of United Nations is Antonio Guterres.
- Its headquarter is in New York City, USA.
Centre launches IDCF to reduce child deaths due to diarrhoea
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has launched the Intensified Diarrhea Control Fortnight (IDCF)in order to intensify efforts to reduce child deaths due to diarrhoea.
Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank grants USD 150 mn loan for India Infrastructure Fund
China-led Asian Infrastructure Investment Bankhas approved USD 150 millionequity investment loan to the India Infrastructure Fund. It is the bank’s first such loan to fund private projects.
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) headquarters in Beijing, China.
China launches 1st X-ray space telescope to study black holes
China successfully launched its first X-ray space telescope to study black holes, pulsars and gamma-ray bursts. The 2.5-tonne Hard X-ray Modulation Telescope (HXMT), named ‘Insight,’was launched from Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China’s Gobi desert
It was delivered into orbit, 550km (341 miles) above the Earth, by the Long March-4B rocket.
- The capital of China is Beijing and its Currency is Renminbi.
- The President of China is Xi Jinping.
- Xichang Satellite Launch Cente is in China.
Banking & economic
Yes Bank partners with TerraPay for faster international remittance
Private sector lender Yes Bank has partnered with mobile payments switch TerraPay to enable real-time money transfer to bank accounts in India. Powered by TerraPay’s global clearing and settlement service, the partnership will make it faster and convenient for consumers to send money to any bank account.
- Mr. Rana Kapoor is the Managing Director & CEO of YES Bank.
- The Bank was founded in 2004.
- Yes Bank is Headquartered in Mumbai.
- TerraPay is a Global transaction processing, clearing and settlement service for mobile wallets.
GII Rankings: India 60th most innovative globally, Switzerland tops the list
India continued to rise in the Global Innovation Index (GII) rankings 60th \
First rank Switzerland
- The first report of GII was released in 2007.
- Currently, it has 14 Advisory Members.
Appointments & Resign
Neeru Chadha elected as first Indian woman Member of ITLOS
Indian nominee Neeru Chadhabecame the first Indian Woman to be elected as the Member of International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (ITLOS). Chadha, the international law expert, got 120 votes with the highest in the Asia-Pacific group.
- The Hamburg (Germany)-based ITLOS was established in 1996.
- Ms. Chadha is only the second woman to be the judge of ITLOS in its two decades of existence.
TCS executive Ramanathan Ramanan to head Atal Mission under NITI Aayog
The government of India has appointed a senior executive of Tata Consultancy Services Ramanathan Ramananto head Atal Innovation Mission, its initiative to promote entrepreneurship in the country.
- Chairperson of NITI Ayog is Shri Narendra Modi.
- Vice Chairperson of NITI Ayog is Dr. Arvind Panagariya.
Israeli author David Grossman wins Man Booker International Prize 2017
Israeli author David Grossman has won the Man Booker International Prize 2017for his novel `A Horse Walks Into a Bar’. Grossman beat out five other finalists, including fellow Israeli author Amos Oz for the counterpart to Britain’s prestigious Booker Prize.
Grossman’s novel is about a failing standup comic and his final performance. The Award has a prize of 50,000 pounds ($64,000) that is split evenly between Grossman andtranslator Jessica Cohen.
- Arundhati Roy won the Booker Prize for her brilliant and poetic novel “The God of Small Things” in the year 1997 making her the first Indian to receive the prestigious award.
- The prize for 2016 Booker prize was awarded to `The Vegetarian’ by South Korea’s Han Kang.
The Fifth Bhupen Hazarika National Award, 2017 has been conferred to an eminent writer from Arunachal Pradesh Yeshe Dorjee Thongshi.
The award consists of 51,000 rupees, a memento and a certificate.
His most important novel is Mauna Onth Mukhar Hriday (Silent lips, murmuring hearts) which won the Sahitya Akademi award in 2005.
- PM Modi had recently inaugurated India’s longest bridge in Assam, it has been named after Bhupen Hazarika.