114-year-old Taj Palace of Mumbai becomes first Indian building to get trademark
The iconic Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in the Mumbai City has acquired an ‘image trademark’,making it the first building in the country to get intellectual property rights protection for its architectural design.
- Taj Palace is located in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- It first commenced operations in the year 1903.
- It is owned by Indian Hotels Company Limited(IHCL), which was incorporated by the founder of the Tata Group, Jamsetji Tata.
Dr. Harshvardhan Launches Mobile App “Celebrating Yoga”
Minister for Science & Technology Dr. Harshvardha nlaunched a Mobile App “Celebrating Yoga” developed by Ministry of Science & Technology in New Delhi.
- International Yoga Day is Celebrated across the world on 21st June.
Shri Piyush Goyal Launches Energy Conservation Building Code 2017
Shri Piyush Goyal,Minister of State (IC) for Power, Coal, New and Renewable Energy and Mines launched the Energy Conservation Building Code 2017 (ECBC 2017). Developed by Ministry of Power and Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE), ECBC 2017 prescribes the energy performance standards for new commercial buildings to be constructed across India.
- The updated version of ECBC provides current as well as futuristic advancements in building technology to further reduce building energy consumption and promote low-carbon growth.
- Bureau of Energy Efficiency is an agency of the Government of India, under the Ministry of Power.
- Headquarters of BEE is located in New Delhi.
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani inaugurated the first Afghanistan-India air corridor at the Kabul International Airport
The corridor is a direct route that will bypass Pakistan and is meant to improve commerce in Afghanistan.The aim of the route is to create more opportunities and make Afghanistan an exporter country. Afghan agricultural products will for the first time head to India on cargo planes.
- Kabul is the Capital of Afghanistan.
- Ashraf Ghani is the Present President of Afghanistan
Banking & Economic
Lockheed Martin signs pact with Tata to make F-16 planes in India
The defense arm of the Tata Group has signed an agreement with American firm Lockheed Martin to produce and export new generationF-16 fighter aircraft, potentially kick-starting a mega ‘Make in India’ project.The agreement has been signed at the Paris Airshow, Lockheed to produce F-16 fighter planes in India. It is the newest and most advanced version of the world’s most successful, combat-proven multi-role fighter.
- TATA Advanced Systems is the defense arm of TATA.
- S Ramadorai is the Chairman of TATA Advanced Systems.
- Sukaran Singh is the CEO & Managing Director of TATA Advanced Systems.
World Refugee Day: 20 June
The World Refugee Day is observed across the world on 20 Juneto commemorate the strength, courage, and perseverance of millions of refugees. The day is celebrated by United Nations.
- 9th Secretary-General of United Nations is Antonio Guterres
- The headquarter of UN is in New York City, USA.
IDBI initiated insolvency proceeding against Lanco, first among 12 accounts identified by RBI
IDBI Bank has started insolvency resolution process against Lanco Infratech Ltd.following a directive from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI). While this is the first resolution process initiated by the lenders against 12 large borrowers identified by the RBI recently.
The other accounts identified by RBI include Essar Steel, Bhushan Steel, Electrosteel Steel, Alok Industries, Jyoti Structures, Monnet Ispat and Jaypee Associates.
- Headquarters of IDBI bank is in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Industrial Development Bank of India is the full form of IDBI.
- CEO of IDBI Bank is Mahesh Kumar Jain.
Science & technology
Mangalyaan completes 1000 Earth days in its orbit
- Indian Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) also called Mangalyaancompletes 1000 Earth days in its orbit on 19th June 2017. The interplanetary mission of ISRO was launched on 5th November 2013.
- It was inserted into Martian orbit on 24th September 2014 in its first attempt.
- The Operator of the MOM is Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
- PSLV-C25 launched Mars Orbiter Mission Spacecraft from the First Launch Pad at Satish Dhawan Space Centre SHAR, Sriharikota.
- ISRO was founded in 1969.
- A S Kiran Kumar is the present chairman of ISRO.
India becomes 71st country to ratify UN International Convention on Road Transports
India has become the 71st countryto ratify the United Nations International Convention on Road Transports, TIR. The Convention is a multilateral treaty to boost International Transport of Goods. TIR is managed and developed by IRU – the world road transport organization.
- The TIR Convention is part of India’s multi-modal transport strategy that aims to integrate the economy with global and regional production networks through better connectivity. TIR will help India to integrate with Myanmar and Thailand as well as Bangladesh, Bhutan, and Nepal.
- IRU was founded in 1948 in Geneva, Switzerland.
Indian Wushu Team bags six medals in BRICS Games
India won six medalsin the Wushu competition of the first ever BRICS Games, which concluded in Guangzhou, China recently. The medals haul comprised two each in gold, silver, and bronze.
It featured some 300 athletes from five countries- Brazil, China, India, Russia and South Africa (BRICS Nations) with 10 events in 3 sports – men’s basketball, women’s volleyball, and Wushu.
China will host the 9th BRICS summit in September 2017.
- Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa are the five-member Nations of BRICS.
- It was established in 2009.
Predhiman Krishan Kaw, father of India’s nuclear fusion passes away
The father of India’s nuclear fusion reactor research program, Padma Shri Prof Predhiman Krishan Kaw, passed away.
He was the founder director of Institute for Plasma Research (IPR), Gandhinagar.