Visakhapatnam railway station cleanest, Darbhanga dirtiest says survey
The Visakhapatnam railway station is the cleanest, followed by Secunderabad, among the 75 busiest stations in the country. According to a survey, the report of which was released by railway minister Suresh Prabhu, the Jammu railway station occupied the third spot, while the New Delhi station was ranked at 39 among the busiest stations.The survey was carried out by the Quality Council of India. The Darbhanga railway station in Bihar was the dirtiest among the busiest stations Varanasi was ranked at 14th position.
Hyderabad’s Turbo Megha Airways first private airline to get UDAN licence
Turbo Megha Airways has become the first private airline to get a licence to fly under UDAN, the government scheme for subsidized regional flights.
The five airlines awarded the rights to fly UDAN flights so far are Air India, SpiceJet, Turbo Megha, Air Odisha and G.R. Gopinath led Deccan Air.
- Full form of UDAN is ‘Ude Desh ka Aam Naagrik’
- UDAN scheme was declared by civil aviation ministry of India in October 2016. The scheme was launched in January 2017
- Under this yojana traveler can buy tickets at Rs. 2500.Only 50% of the seats in a flight belonging to this scheme
Japan cabinet approves bill allowing emperor’s abdication
Japan’s cabinet approved a bill that would allow Emperor Akihito to step down, paving the way for the first abdication by a Japanese emperor in nearly two centuries
- Shinzo Abe is the current Prime Minister of Japan
- Currency of Japan is Yen and its capital is Tokyo
- Central bank of Japan is named Bank of Japan
- 2020 summer Olympic games are going to be held in Tokyo and its Ambassador is GOKU (Character of a cartoon show)
India betters ranking in international tourist arrivals
India has jumped 16 places in the revised United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) rankings to settle at 24th for 2014 and 2015. Earlier, India was ranked 41st and 40th in 2014 and 2015 as per the global ranking, respectively.
- Headquarter of UN World Tourism Organization is in Madrid, Spain
- Mr. Taleb Rifai is Secretary-General of the UNWTO
Banking & Economic
BSNL signs pacts with Facebook, MobiKwik
The pacts were signed to commemorate the World Telecommunication and Information Society Day (17 May).Under the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Facebook, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) will provide connectivity for the social network’s ‘Express Wi-Fi Program’.
- Director of BSNL is Shri Anupam Shrivastava
- Founder of Mobikwik is Bipin Preet Singh
Bilateral Exercise Between Indian & Republic Of Singapore Navy SIMBEX-17 Commences
As part of ‘SIMBEX-17’, the ongoing Bilateral Naval Exercise between Navies of the Republic of Singapore and India, Indian Naval Ships Shivalik, Sahyadri, Jyoti and Kamorta are participating.
- Sunil Lanba is the Chief of Naval Staff (CNS) of Indian Navy
ISRO receives 2014 Indira Gandhi Peace Prize
Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh presented now the 2014 Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace to the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
The award was announced by a jury headed by Vice President Hamid Ansari in 2014, consists of a trophy and a cash prize of Rs 1 crore.The Prize was awarded to ISRO in recognition of its path-breaking achievements culminating in the Mars orbiter mission and its significant
Sanjay Gubbi of Karnataka and Purnima Barman of Assam have won the prestigious Whitley Award, popularly known as Green Oscars, for their efforts in wildlife conservation.
The awards are instituted by the U.K.-registered charity Whitley Fund for Nature Conservation. While Mr. Gubbi has been awarded for his work to protect tiger corridors in Karnataka.