Aadhaar not valid for travel to Nepal, Bhutan: Home ministry
Aadhaar is not a valid identification document for Indians traveling to Nepal and Bhutan, according to the Union home ministry. Indians can travel to Nepal and Bhutan- both countries for which they don’t need visas – if they possess a valid national passport or election ID card issued by the Election Commission.
Moreover, to ease travel, persons over 65 and below 15 years can show documents with photographs to confirm their age and identity. These include PAN card, driving licence, Central Government Health Service (CGHS) card and ration card but not Aadhaar. The move is aimed at ensuring hassle-free movement of Indians going abroad.
- Nepal shares borders with 5 Indian states- Sikkim, West Bengal, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
- Bhutan shares borders with 4 Indian States- Sikkim, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh and West Bengal.
International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking: 26 June
The theme for 2017 is- “Listen First – Listening to children and youth is the first step to help them grow healthy and safe.”
- Antonio Guterres is the ninth United Nations Secretary-General.
- UN Headquarters in New York, The USA.
India, Portugal sign 11 MoUs across various fields :-
India and Portugal have signed eleven MOUs for cooperation in areas including double taxation avoidance, science and technology, trade and investment, nanotechnology, space research, administrative reforms and culture.
ii. 11 MoU’s were exchanged in the meeting and there was the announcement of the launch of a joint science fund for which both India and Portugal will contribute Euros two million each. 5 of the MoU’s were in the area of science and technology
- Lisbon is Capital city of Portugal.
- The currency of Portugal is Euro.
- Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa is present president of Portugal.
- Antonia Costa is present Prime Minister of Portugal.
India, Russia agree to roadmap for development of defense co-operation
India and Russia have agreed to a roadmap for the development of bilateral defense cooperation. The roadmap includes specific activities to be concluded by both sides, and aims to enhance cooperation in the field of political and military dialogue, exercises, exchange of visits, military cooperation and training of military personnel.
The agreement was reached at the 17th meeting of the India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Military-Technical Cooperation held in Moscow. The meeting took place was held under the Co-Chairmanship of theDefence Minister Arun Jaitleyand the Defence Minister of Russia Sergei Shoigu.
- The Capital of Russia is Moscow and its Currency is Russian ruble.
- The President of Russia is Vladimir Putin.
Banking & Economic
IDFC Bank elevates Sunil Kakar as MD and CEO for 3 Years
IDFC Ltd announced the elevation of its CFO Sunil Kakar as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the company with effect from July 16 for three years.
- Vikram Limaye is a member of a panel appointed by the Supreme Court to administer the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
- Headquarter of IDFC Bank is in Mumbai.
RBI widens scope of Banking Ombudsman Scheme
The central bank has extended the scope of Banking Ombudsman Scheme. As per RBI, under the amended scheme, a customer would also be able to lodge a complaint against the bank for its non-adherence to RBI instructions with regard to mobile banking/ electronic banking services in India.As per the amendment, the pecuniary jurisdiction of the Banking Ombudsman to pass an award has been doubled to 20 lakh rupees.
- The Reserve Bank of India was established on April 1, 1935, in accordance with the provisions of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934.
- RBI was nationalized in 1949.
- Urjit Patel is the 24th Governor of RBI.
- Banking Ombudsman is a quasi-judicial authority functioning under the Banking Ombudsman Scheme, 2006.
MeitY launches Web Portal for smooth GST implementation
In order to ensure smooth GST implementation from 1st July, theMinistry of Electronics and Information Technologyhas launched a dedicated Webpage for facilitating taxpayers with regard to addressing issues related to Information Technology Services and Electronics goods.
The webpage can be accessed through Ministry’s Web Portal www.meity.gov.in.Individuals, Companies, and Entrepreneurs in IT and Electronics sector can visit the webpage for sector-specific information. It also enables filing of grievances in relation to the implementation of GST
- Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad is the Cabinet Minister of Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (Meity).
- Shri P.P. Chaudhary is the Minister of State of Meity.
Bhumika Sharma wins Miss World title in bodybuilding championship
Dehradun’s Bhumika Sharma, another Indian has become Miss World in bodybuilding championship
Manushi Chhillar from Haryana wins the title of Miss India 2017
The 54th Femina Miss India World 2017 winner is Manushi Chhillar from Haryana, while the first runner-up is Sana Dua from Jammu and Kashmir and the second runner-up is Priyanka Kumari from Bihar.
- Reita Faria was the first Miss India ever to win any international beauty pageant.
- Miss World 2016 was Stephanie Del Valle.
Bengal’s Kanyashree initiative wins United Nations Public Service Award
The West Bengal Government’s Kanyashree Prakalpa was awarded the first prize in United Nations Public Service Award for Asia Pacific. Out of 552 initiatives from 62 different countries, West Bengal Government’s initiative was chosen the best
- Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport is in Kolkata, West Bengal
- Sunderban is the famous Tiger Reserve of West Bengal.
- Motijhil Lake is in West Bengal.
Important Books & Days
The Book ‘The Emergency – Indian Democracy’s Darkest Hour’ launched By Venkaiah Naidu
A book is written by Surya Prakash who is a chairman of Prasar Bharati.
- 25 June marks the anniversary of Indian Emergency.
India became the team to score the most 300-plus totals in One Day International (ODI) Cricket
It was the 96th time that India crossed the 300-run mark, surpassing Australia’s 95.
- The International Cricket Council is the international governing body of cricket.
- Chairperson of ICC is Mr. Shashank Manohar.
- ICC Headquarters in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
Ankush claims gold, Devendro gets silver at Mongolia boxing tournament
The fast-rising Ankush Dahiya (60kg) clinched a gold defeated Korean Man Choe Chol while the experienced L Devendro Singh (52kg) settled for a silver medal defeated Indonesia’s Aldoms Suguro on the final day of the Ulaanbaatar Cup boxing tournament in Mongolia.
- Ulaanbaatar is the Capital of Mongolia.
- Its currency is Mongolian togrog.
Anish Bhanwala set a junior world record at World Championship
Haryana’s Anish Bhanwala gave a robust start for the Indian challenge by clinching the 25-metre standard pistol gold with a world junior record in the Junior World Shooting Championship in Suhl, Germany.
Indian shuttler Kidambi Srikanth has lifted the Australian Open Super series trophy in Sydney
In the summit clash, 11th world ranked Srikanth stunned former world number one and Rio Olympics Gold medalist Chen Long of China in straight games