World No Tobacco Day: 31 May
World Health Organization, WHO has been set The theme for World No Tobacco Day 2017 is “Tobacco – a threat to development.”
Important :- (This year Union Health Minister of India Jagat Prakash Nadda is chosen for WHO Director-General Special Recognition Awards)
- Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus will be the New head of WHO after replacing Margaret Chan.
- Headquarter of WHO is in Geneva, Switzerland.
- The member States of the World Health Organization (WHO) created World No Tobacco Day in 1987.
India and Fiji Sign MoU on Defence Cooperation
The Minister of Defence and National Security of Fiji,Ratu Inoke Kubuabola accompanied by his delegation signed a MoU with the Minister of Defence,
- Fiji Capital is Suva and its Currency is Fijian Dollar.
- Frank Bainimarama is the PM of Fiji.
India and Germany inked 12 memoranda of understanding.
The agreements inked included nine joint declarations of intent (JDIs) and three memoranda of understanding. The agreements include collaboration in the field of digitalization, skill development, and cooperation in cyber policy. Besides, the two nations also agreed to resume the free trade talks between India and the European Union.
- The Capital of Germany is Berlin and its Currency is Euro.
43rd G7 Summit held in Sicily, Italy
43rd G7 Summit was held on 26-27 May, 2017 in Taormina, Sicily,Italy. The 43rd G7 summit was the first summit for British Prime Minister Theresa May.
The Memmber Of G -7 (Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States).
The theme of the Italian G7 Summit 2017 is-“ Building the Foundation of Renewed Trust.”
- The first occasion of G7 Summit was in 1980 in Venice, Italy
- Next G-7 Summit will be held in Canada in 2018.
- This is the sixth time that Italy has taken over the rotating G7 Presidency
- PM of Italy is Paolo Gentiloni and the capital and currency is Rome and Euro respectively.
Banking & Economic
New pink-green one rupee notes to be in circulation soon
New one rupee notes with predominantly pink-green on obverse and reverse in combination with other colours will be soon put into circulation.The note will bear signature of Shaktikanta Das, Secretary in the Ministry of Finance.here is also a representation of One Rupee coin with rupee symbol having floral design and the surrounding design consists of the picture of‘Sagar Samrat’ the oil exploration platform
Science & technology
India to have its own GPS system from 2018
Coming next year, India will be having its own GPS system. ‘NavIC’ will be operational early 2018.
NavIC or ‘Navigation with Indian Constellation’ the name given by PM Narendra Modi after the launch of Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System IRNSS-1G, is designed to provide accurate position information to users within the country
- Full Form of NavIC is Navigation with Indian Constellation.
Pentagon successfully tests ICBM defense system for first time
United States has for the first time successfully tested its defence system against an Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM).
A ground-based interceptor was launched at a California air base and shot down a mock ballistic missile. As per the Pentagon, the test comes after Pyongyang fired its ninth missile this year. It was the first live-fire test against a simulated ICBM for the Ground-Based Missile Defense.
- The Pentagon headquarters in Washington, D.C. U.S.A.
- The Pentagon is situated across the Potomac River.“
India ranks 120th among 131 nations in women workforce: World Bank report
According to India Development Report released by World Bank, India had one of the lowest female participation in the workforce, ranking 120th among 131 countries.
- World Bank President is Jim Yong Kim and its headquarter is in Washington D.C. USA
- World Bank was founded in 1944.
Harmanpreet Kaur become the first Indian woman to play in Kia Super League
Harmanpreet Kaur, the captain of India’s T20 team has become the first Indian Women cricketer to play in Kia Super League, the England T20 League.
- The Kia Super League is also known as the Women’s Cricket Super League.
Kohli only Indian in top 10 of ICC ODI rankings
Virat Kohli is the lone cricketer from the country to feature in the top 10 of the ICC Players Rankings third spot in the batsman’s chart.
1. First rank :- AB de Villiers
2. Second rank : – David Warner
3. Third rank :- Virat Kohli
- Virat Kohli received the prestigious Polly Umrigar Award during BCCI’s International Cricketer of the Year awards 2017.
- Virat Kohli is the first to receive the Polly Umrigar Award award thrice. He had won the award in 2011-12 and in 2014-15.
Lionel Messi wins fourth Golden Shoe
Barcelona striker Lionel Messi won the European Golden Shoe for a record-equaling fourth time having scored 37 goals in the Spanish league.
He drew level with Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo with the fourth honor
- Lionel Andrés “Leo” Messi is an Argentine professional footballer who plays as a forward for Spanish club FC Barcelona and the Argentina national team.