India declares itself free from H5N1 and H5N8 bird flu
India has declared itself free from highly pathogenic Avian Influenza (H5N1 and H5N8) after surveillance in the states showed no evidence of its presence. It has been notified to the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE).
Avian influenza refers to the disease caused by infection with avian (bird) influenza (flu) Type A viruses
MRP to be sole price decider from Jan 1, 2018
From January 1, 2018, the price of a packaged good would no longer depend on where you bought it- be it a local Kirana store, a mall, a five-star hotel or an airport. The Consumer Affairs Ministry has amended the rules that govern packaged commodities to this effect.
JIGYASA – Student-Scientist connect programme launched
Jigyasa, a student- scientist connect program was officially launched in New Delhi recently. Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), has joined hands with Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS) to implement this program
- Union Minister for Science & Technology is Dr. Harshvardhan.
- Mr. Prakash Javadekar is Union HRD Minister.
The Odisha government signed an Expression of Intent (EOI) with the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) and Athletics Federation of India (AFI) to establish a High-Performance Academy in Bhubaneswar.
An academy for athletes will be built in the Kalinga Stadium.
- Chief Minister of Odisha is Mr. Naveen Patnaik.
- The Governor of Odisha is Mr. S C Jamir.
Center launches GST Rates Finder app to verify accurate tax rate under GST regime
Centre has launched an app – GST Rates Finder to verify the accurate tax rate on commodity and services under the Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley launched the app in New Delhi.
Through this app, user can determine GST rate by entering the name of the commodity or service. The search result will list all the Goods and Services containing the name which was typed in the search box. A taxpayer can search for applicable CGST, SGST, UTGST rate and Compensation Cess on a supply
India ranks 23rd among 165 nations in cybersecurity index
The second Global Cybersecurity Index (GCI) was released by the UN telecommunications agency International Telecommunication Union (ITU).
The top 5 most committed countries to cybersecurity are-
- The United States,
- ITU currently has a membership of 193 countries.
- ITU is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
India has moved four places up to the 96th position in the FIFA World Ranking
This is the country’s second-best ranking and its previous best was the 94th position in February 1996
- Headquarter of FIFA is in Zurich, Switzerland.
- The President of FIFA is Gianni Infantino.
Siemens opens its first digital factory in India
Siemens opened its first digital factory in India, also the third globally after one each in Germany and China, as the industrial conglomerate pitches smart facilities to small and medium scale enterprises in the country
Pakistan successfully test fires short-range ballistic missile, Nasr
- Army chief of Pakistan is Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa.
12th G20 Summit held in Hamburg, Germany
German Chancellor Angela Merkel is hosting this year’s G20 Summit in Hamburg.
- G-20 was founded in 1999.
- The first meeting of G-20 was held in Berlin in 1999.
- The last G-20 summit was held in China in 2016
122 countries adopt ‘historic’ UN treaty to ban nuclear weapons
122 countries approved the first-ever treaty to ban nuclear weapons at the UN meeting boycotted by all nuclear-armed nations. One country the Netherlands voting against while Singapore abstained.
None of the nine countries that possess nuclear weapons the United States, Russia, Britain, China, France, India, Pakistan, North Korea and Israel took part in the negotiations or the vote.
Even Japan the only country to have suffered atomic attacks, in 1945 boycotted the talks as did most NATO countries.
- Japan had suffered the Nuclear attack in Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945 during Second World War.
Banking & Economic
Indus OS has partnered with YES Bank to launch OS-integrated UPI (Unified Payment Interface) payment platform in India.
- Co-founder and CEO of Indus OS is Rakesh Deshmukh
- The CEO of YES Bank is Rana Kapoor.
Canara HSBC Oriental Bank of Commerce Life Insurance ties up with Dhanlaxmi Bank for marketing bancassurance
- Chief executive officer of Canara HSBC Oriental Bank of Commerce Life Insurance Company Limited is Anuj Mathur.
- MD and CEO of Dhanlaxmi Bank is G. Sreeram
EPFO ties up with 5 banks to collect PF dues
The tie-ups with Bank of Baroda, ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, Axis Bank and Kotak Mahindra Bank will help EPFO save around Rs 125 crore a year and expedite its investments as well as payment of benefits to its members
- EPFO came into existence under the promulgation of the Employee’s Provident Fund Ordinance on the 15th November 1951.
- It was replaced by the Employee’s Provident Fund Act, 1952.
RBI allows NBFCs to offer new pension scheme
NBFCs with asset size of Rs500 crore and above that have made a net profit in the preceding financial year be permitted to sell NPS to their clients after registration with the pension regulator
- RBI Headquarters in Mumbai.
- The 24th Governor of RBI is Dr. Urjit Patel.
- Non-Banking Financial Company (NBFC) is a company registered under the Companies Act, 1956 of India.
Kewal Handa appointed as Non-executive Chairman of Union Bank
- Managing Director & CEO of Union Bank of India Shri Rajkiran Rai G.
- Union Bank of India Headquarters in Mumbai
Appointments & Resign
Saima Wazed Hossain appointed WHO Goodwill Ambassador for Autism in South Asia
- Saima Wazed Hossain was designated as WHO Regional Champion for Autism in May 2016.
- Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus is the Director-General of WHO for the term of 5 Years
Indian Ambassador to Peru Sandeep Chakravorty appointed New York Consul General
Indian-origin man Guruswamy Jayraman awarded Australia’s highest civilian award
Guruswamy Jayraman, a 69-year-old Glenwood resident who migrated from Delhi to Australia in 1991, has been awarded Order of Australia for community work, the highest civilian award in Australia.
- The capital of Australia is Canberra.
- Its Currency is Australian dollar.
- Malcolm Turnbull is the PM of Australia.
Manpreet Kaur, Govindan Laxmanan win gold in Asian Athletics Championships
India’s Manpreet Kaur claimed the gold medal in the women’s shot put on the opening day of the Asian Athletics Championships 2017 at the Kalinga Stadium, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
Govindan Laxmanan emerged triumphant in the men’s 5,000 meters and has also won Gold Medal
- The last edition of Asian Athletics Championship was held in Wuhan, China in 2015.
Daily GK Update 4, 5 & 6-Jul-2017